Saturday, January 28, 2012

IBALON, EPIC FROM BICOL (SCRIPT)



Narrator: A long time ago, there was a hero named Baltog. He was a young man who was strong, kind and very handsome. His father is Handiong, chief tain of their village.

                One day, Baltog and Handiong talked about the problem in the land of Samar. Many enemies come to their land and destroy their crops and worst, killing their animals. Because of the lack of food, people were dying of hunger.

Handiong: Son, our people are tired of fighting. They want a peaceful life with no hunger. Our animals are getting fewer in number each day. If this will continue, we will all die of hunger.

Baltog: What should I do father? What do you want me to do?

Handiong: You need to find a place where our people can live peacefully and contentedly.

Baltog: If you want that father, yes I will do it for you and for our people.

Handiong: I am too old for the job so I’m putting it on your shoulder. You are young, strong and brave. I know you can do it.

Narrator: Handiong gave his blessing to Baltog. Baltog sailed out that night in a small boat that would take him to a place called “Kabikulan”

Baltog: I heard so much about Kabikulan and it would be good if I could find a place there where my people and I could live peacefully.

Narrator: Out in the great sea, Baltog encountered a strong wind and huge waves that destroyed his boat. He had to swim and he almost drowned before he safely reached the shore off the coastal town of Kabikulan.

Baltog: Ibalon is a perfect place for me and my people. The soil was fertile and was suitable for root crops, rice and vegetables. It was also very ideal for their animals. I want to have this place for me and my people.

Narrator: With his strength and skill in hand-to-hand combat, he was able to subdue all the crocodiles and boar, killing them and cutting them into pieces. However, the snake with a woman’s head was able to escape and left the mountain for another home.
                He went home and told his father about the land he had found for them.



Baltog: Father, I’m back, and I already found a place where we can live peacefully.

Handiong: I’m proud of you son. Lets now tell the good news to our people.

Narrator: Baltog, Handion and all their people left Samar for Ibalon, their new home. Handiong and Baltog taught their people several home industries to make a living. In no time, their lives changed for the better.

1 comment: